Give and Makeup is a non-profit initiative whose sole purpose is to get everyday essentials into the hands of women and children who need them the most.
We started in 2010 and run on an outreach basis.
- Each week two women in the United Kingdom are murdered by a partner or ex-partner.
- One woman in four experiences domestic violence in their lifetime.
- The average woman experiences domestic violence 35 times before she calls the police.
How we started:
Give and Makeup was borne out of an idea for a blog post.
I was going to write a post about essentials...that led to an idea about what your absolute necessities would be...that led to an idea about 'what if you had NOTHING'...and that led me to this page on the Refuge website.
(Please note - Refuge is a charity that aids women and children escaping domestic violence - it is unrelated to the ongoing refugee crisis.)
My eyes locked on to 'Medicines and Toiletries' and I thought of the amount of product I had sitting in my cupboard and felt ashamed. I scrapped the blog post and Give and Makeup started that evening.
As well as continuing to support Refuge and Women's Aid, we are now supporting the brilliant work of CGL.ORG* in the London area.
The people in need of help are women and their families including female children from newborns to teens and beyond and male children from newborn to approx. aged 10.
What we need:
- vests (for the children)
- sanitary towels
- baby bathing products
- shower gel
- body lotion
- makeup - all forms of makeup
We accept everything second hand or new, with the exception of lip glosses and mascara. Due to the risk of infections, these will ideally be new. Please send all clothing clean, it adds to the cost and time that the workers do not have if they have to wash everything.
- all suitable toys for children including books, colouring pads and crayons, puzzles, games, dvds, dolls - anything except imitation guns/weapons and inappropriate films with violent or sexual scenes. No religious material please.
Where to Send:
To donate directly to Refuge in the Southern/London area please direct all parcels to:
Give and Makeup c/o
PO BOX 855
Wales are still accepting donations for women's shelters via the brilliant Escentual.com here:
Give and MakeUp c/o
63-67 Wellfield Road
(Please: do not ask either Escentual to accept your postal charges. They are doing this for us on a completely voluntary basis and should not incur costs to do so. Perhaps consider donating locally if you cannot afford to post items.)
To donate directly to CGL in North London please direct all parcels to:
c/o Exit Project
6 CRAVEN PARK
*CGL does not need children's goods, they service adult females.
Some important notes about donating to all areas:
- Please ensure that parcels are able to be carried by one person.
- For obvious security reasons, no drop-offs are available at any of the addresses. Postal only please.
- Please do not send large donations (numerous large boxes) without prior arrangement. All of the addresses are first and foremost business addresses.
Your understanding and support is so appreciated. You are changing people's lives.
How else can you help?:
If you would like to make donations directly to your local shelters you can find more information from Women's Aid here: How to donate.
If you would like to raise money for Refuge by selling items on EBay you can do that officially here: Raising money for Refuge.
And to buy 'parcels' for Refuge look here.
Thank you for your support.
CGL is a health and social care charity working with individuals, families and communities across England and Wales that are affected by drugs, alcohol, crime, homelessness, domestic abuse, and antisocial behaviour. Its projects, delivered in communities and prisons, encourage and empower people to regain control of their lives and motivate them to tackle their problems.