I’ve had varying questions/reactions to previous balm reviews – a lot of concerns re fragrance – synthetic/too much/not enough – and texture – too runny/not thick enough/not a real ‘balm’.
This cleansing balm should tick most of your boxes.
Unlike a lot of other balms – this one is completely water-free. It’s a proper, get-some-on-your-skin and massage-it-to-oblivion balm.
What’s in it?
Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil, Prunus armeniaca (apricot) oil, Ricinus communis (castor) oil, Persea gratissima (avocado) oil, Cera alba (beeswax), Tocopherol, Citrus aurantium var. amara. (neroli), Citrus reticulata (mandarin), Ocimum basilicum (sweet basil).
What’s not in it?
Water, mineral oil, parabens, synthetic anything
Who is it for?
Pretty much anyone. There’s nothing that should give any skin a hard time. I would say it is particularly excellent for a drier skin, but I’m more a combination and I’m fine. There is an entire FAQ’s section on the website discussing the benefits of plant oils to a combination/oily skin. A woman after my own heart.
What’s good about it?
- Wonderful texture, solid, but completely melts when massaged
- Quite possibly the best smelling balm you’ll ever come across
- 100% natural – it is extremely rare to find something that can claim to be 100% natural – as soon as you add water, it’s not considered natural – ironic but true…- this is the real deal
- Doesn’t emulsify – if I wanted a balm to turn to milk – I’d buy a milk
- A little goes a long way. Although be warned – its hard not to use too much – purely for greed reasons.
- Made in Cheltenham (UK) by Catherine Lewis – I do like a homegrown start-up!
- Not product related – but the website lists full ingredients – something that the big boys still have to get their lazy-arsed attitudes around to doing – bravo Catherine!
What’s not so good about it?
- Not much.
- I wouldn’t personally use for makeup removal, but only because I want it for the massage stage. I tend to loosen my make-up with a little Una Brennan pre-cleanse (for example) and then go in with this. For me, this is a second stage cleanser.
- You cannot be lazy with this cleanser. If you don’t remove properly with a washcloth/flannel you will have residue. There is no ‘rinse away’ with this. Any attempt to splash the face is met with the literal repelling of the water as it drips off your face. Excellent!
How much is it?
£21.00 for 50g (same as 50ml).
This is a beautiful, 100% natural balm that leaves your skin smooth, soft, clean and smelling like a dream.
BALMOLOGY is available here.