I thought I’d round up the SPF posts into groups – by brands – otherwise it will be wayyyyy too long a post. With the best will in the world I could never write one post for body and one for face. There are just too many options. I’ll try to give a very brief overview of the products I particularly rate based on the questions I am asked the most often, rather than going in-depth into ingredients.
If you think of any other key points you would like covered, leave a comment and I’ll add them in if there is enough demand. If you have any questions I’ll try and answer them below the individual SPF product post but you may have to go directly to the brands for specifics.
And please – Don’t shoot the messenger people!
Some of you want ‘natural’/’physical (which is a chemical but whatevs), some want chemical, I’ll try and dish up ones that I actually think are great no matter what the category. And I’m just going to bang them out as quickly as I can, not just once a day – because you know – AUGUST ALREADY.
I’m breaking them up into beach/city and face/body, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t use a beach SPF year-round in London – it just means there may be something more suited to that specification – if that makes sense.
I thought I would double-check the most-requested questions before I kick off tomorrow so if there is something not covered below leave me a comment and I can add it in. Ooh so organised!
General things to bear in mind:
- I pay very little attention to the scare-mongering of the EWG. If you love them, great, crack on, but I don’t use the words ‘toxic’ when it comes to products. It’s a nonsense.
- Always apply last after moisturiser, before makeup – unless otherwise stated.
- PPD, however useful, is very rarely mentioned by brands, but I’ll see what I can find out.
Some typical UVA protecting ingredients (not exclusive):
- MEXORYL SX- also known as ECAMSULE or TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID-
- MEXORYL XL- also known as DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE
- TINOSORB S- also known as BEMOTRIZINOL or BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYLTRIAZINE
- TINOSORB M- also known as BISOCTRIZOLE or METHYLENE BIS-BENZOTRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYL BUTYLPHENOL
- AVOBENZONE- also known as BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYL METHANE
Some typical UVB protecting ingredients (not exclusive):
- PADIMATE O
- HOMOSALATE – also known as 3,3,5-TRIMETHYL- SALICYLATE CYCLOHEXANOL; 3,3,5-TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEXYL 2-HYDROXYBENZOATE; 3,3,5-TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEXYL SALICYLATE;
Both UVA and UVB:
OXYBENZONE – also known as Benzophenone-3 or 2-Hydroxy-4-methoxybenzophenone
Physical – UVA and UVB:
Broad Spectrum? UVA symbol (in EU)?
Physical or chemical?
SPF active ingredients (in order of %)?
White/ash residue on darker skins?
Absorbs well even at high SPF?
Potential to block pores based on the above?:
Works under makeup?
Does it leave you shiny?
Is it sticky?
Suitable for all skin types?
Water resistant/waterproof/sweat resistant?
Antioxidants/any skin benefits?